Ranger Gold Embossing Powder: Gold v. Princess Gold

 I used to have a lot of embossing powder, but got rid of a lot of it when I wasn't using it much. I've gotten back to it in the past few years, and I purchase colors I think I need.

Ranger Gold embossing powder surrounded by Ranger's Princess Gold embossing powder.

I had read a post on Splitcoast Stampers about embossing powders, and discovered that people have a lot of different preferences!

I wanted a gold, and someone raved about Ranger's Princess Gold color, so I bought it. I wasn't too pleased with it, though. Instead of a shiny gold, it makes more of a matte gold--kind of like the gold seals for scratch offs (hmm...am I dating myself with that comparison?).

Recently I decided that I needed other metallic colors, so I got a collection that included several Ranger embossing powders, including silver, copper, and...gold.

Embossing powder on image--not yet heat-set

Time for a color comparison! I used the same stamp image, then inked it with Ranger's embossing ink pad (though I love using small ink pads most of the time, I really love this BIG ink pad). Then I put the Princess Gold embossing powder on the left side of the paper, and the regular Gold powder on the right side.

In the image above, I've added the powder but not yet heat-set it, so neither one looks at all shiny.

After heat-setting the two powders

I heat-set the powders, and then compared. I REALLY tried to get some good images to show the difference, but...it just didn't really work.

Perhaps you can see here that, while the powders look very similar, once heat-set, the regular Gold is shinier than the Princess Gold.

Close-up comparison

This final picture is closer. I hope it shows that, while the Princess Gold can appear shiny at certain angles, the regular Gold embossing powder creates a brighter gold, though the difference is still pretty subtle.

This was the set of embossing powders that I purchased. The little spoons were a nice extra, since I was out of those. I think I now have enough clear to last me a lifetime! All of the embossing powders I used were super fine, meaning that the powder bits are smaller (finer)--better for detailed and fine stamps, but they work well with all stamps.

Reminder: I'm an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you I will receive a store credit.








Comments