Review: Taylored Expressions Mini Strips (similar to their Simple Strips)

 Sorry for not posting--I'm back at work, and a new school year occupies a lot of my attention.

In mid-August I received some items I'd ordered from Taylored Expressions, so I thought I'd share my thoughts with you about them.

I really like Taylored Expressions, a stamp company out of Iowa that is owned by artist Taylor Van Bruggen. I've already preordered their Advent Calendar--the only stamping one that I get.

I'd been intrigued by their Simple Strips and Mini Strips concept--especially every time I just wanted to be able to add a quick sentiment to a card.

Mini Strips samples

Taylored Expressions seems to still favor cling rubber stamps. While they do offer clear photopolymer stamps, a large number of their stamps are still made with cling rubber. Some companies will use cling rubber because, they say, rubber stamps provide a more detailed design.

I get that, but I don't think these stamps, being basic sentiments in a plain font, needed to be rubber stamps. That's what kept me back from purchasing them for so long. I love clear stamps because I can see through them--and through a clear acrylic stamp block, to precisely stamp where I want.

I suppose that's not such an issue with these, though.


Mini Strips-Birthday stamp by Taylored Expressions

There's just one stamp that includes multiple sentiments on it, based on a specific theme. I thought about the kind of cards I use the most--or plan to use--and bought a birthday stamp and a thank you stamp. I chose the mini strips version because they were less expensive--I wanted to make sure I liked them before I'd consider purchasing more--or purchasing the Simple Strips stamps and dies.

As you can see, I placed the square stamp on a large block. That was not a good idea. I ended up getting some rubber edges inky, and then transferred it onto the paper. That's not a deal breaker, since they were outside of the sentiments, though.


With black embossing powder heat-set

I"d also been shopping for embossing powder, because I just felt these sentiments called for that bit of shiny extra that heat-embossing provides.

Well, the letters are very thin, and the dye ink I used didn't seem to stay moist for long enough. My embossing was pretty sad looking--those black splotches snatched the powder! I tried to brush it off, but the black powder did stain the paper. (Should have used my Embossing Buddy, but I forgot!). The ink didn't hold the powder well enough, so some areas didn't seem to have much--if any--on them. I did use an ultra-fine embossing powder, but even that didn't help.

Result #1 was pretty dismal. I didn't keep it.

Silver embossed Mini Strips-Life Saver

I then used my Embossing Buddy on the next paper before I stamped it. This time I tried the Mini Strips-Life Saver stamp. Based on some of the sentiments, I think it must have come out during COVID, when most of us were staying at home and our health care workers were putting out even more effort to save people's lives. 

This time it came out looking pretty good!

Die in place to cut all of the sentiments at once

The really wonderful part of the Simple Strips system is the die cutting. There are dies made to cut all of the sentiments from the stamp at once. Here I've put the Mini Strips-Asymmetrical die in place, ready to run through my die cutter.

Those square blotches on the stamped image serve a purpose. They are guides for placing the die.

There are 3 die shape options for the mini strips--regular, asymmetrical, and flags. I bought the latter 2. I figured that, until I got the regular one, I could easily cut the "wonky" side of an asymmetrical sentiment piece so that it was cut regularly around the sentiment.

Mini Strips stamps & dies--and Mini Mitts (future post)

Here you can see the 2 stamps I bought, plus the 2 dies I purchased to go with them. If you look back at the first photo of this post, you can see that I didn't give up on the birthday stamp! I ended up just using regular ink and stamped the sentiments.

Taylored Expressions also offers a storage box to hold the sentiment strips (works with both the Simple Strips and Mini Strips options--I think the difference between the 2 is that the Simple Strips have more sentiments per stamp). I did purchase a Simple Strips Storage Box, but apparently forgot to photograph it. I'll have to share it--I like it!

So, overall, I do like the Simple Strips/Mini Strips option. Since you're die cutting the stamp sentiments out, it's OK that you can see as you stamp (due to the rubber). The alignment squares are a great idea! I do wish the lettering was a bit thicker, so it would hold embossing powder better, but I think I'll do better with practice. 

For me, I think one stamp with maybe 2-3 sentiments per theme (but about 8 or 9 on the entire stamp) would be perfect, rather than 8 (or more with the Simple Strips) sentiments for just one theme. I'm trying to slim down my collection of stamps.

I love the different die options--the shapes are perfect for different situations, and can go on the front or inside of the card. The dies needed a 2nd run through the die cut machine--I did end up having to cut one edge with scissors because it hadn't cut completely through the paper. I guess I'll use a shim next time. 

It's pretty therapeutic to have all of those sentiments come out on their own, though. Now when I need a quick thank you card, I can take a card I've already made (but left situationally vague), and place one of these sentiments on it!

Yes, I will use these strips more--they are keepers!

(I am not affiliated with Taylored Expressions. I purchased these items.)



Comments