Sympathy Card

 Hello!

I did finally use that Birch background stamp design on one card (I've saved my other stampings for future use).

When I was looking online for examples with the Birch background stamp, I saw some with birds. It wasn't as though they were sitting n the tree (since the stamp was an up-close image of one tree). It was just an interesting background.

I planned my design using the next stamp set, Birds & Branches by Stampin' Up! I made a mistake, though, when I actually put the card together. Can you see it?

Birch background, Birds & Branches: both by Stampin' Up!

When I saw this stamp set, I looked for birds that can be seen in this area. I found this photo of the American Robin, and decided to make my birds robins.

I planned to make the card portrait (vertical) format, but in trying to have the robins look at each other and include the nest and the offset sentiment, I decided that a landscape (horizontal) format would work better, especially since I was trimming the edges down to leave a white border on the front of the card.

That was my mistake--the birch background's darker areas are now vertical lines instead of horizontal ones! Actually, though, it doesn't really matter. The background is to provide interest and I think it still does that.

Here are the supplies I used in making the card:

Birch and Birds & Branches stamp sets: Stampin' Up!
Birds & More dies: Stampin' Up!
Sympathy stamp set: Darkroom Door

It's hard for me to make sympathy cards. There are not a lot of stamp sets with sympathy messages. Those that have them often fall into the same categories. I realized a few years ago that I needed more sympathy stamp sets--especially for sentiments. 

One set that I found was this one by Darkroom Door. Note: It is a red rubber cling stamp set, not a clear photopolymer stamp set. I have used several of the sentiments.

I wanted to make a card specifically for someone who has lost a spouse. I tried to make my robins look at each other in the nest. 

Next time I go to use that birch background, though, I'll remember that it needs to be on a vertical card!

Wishing you a day with some delightful ME time for you. Make it happen!


Comments