So I Went to a Card Class, Part 2: Oh, Buoy! die set (Fair Winds collection) from Spellbinders

 Yesterday I shared a card I made using the Set Sail die set from the Fair Winds collection offered by Spellbinders. 

We made 3 cards in the card class, each using a different die set. 

Today I'll share a card I made using the Oh, Buoy! die set.

Card made with the Oh, Buoy! die set

I don't normally like cards with a belly band, but this one is a fun design, and I love this die set!

These dies are incredibly detailed. The die for the wooden pilings (I had to look that up to find out the correct name!) embosses a wooden texture onto the pieces as it cuts them. The ropes actually have embossed rope texture! The life preserver's colored pieces are their own separate dies, too.

The small flying birds were deliberately made in 2 sizes to show depth in your design, and they also face in different directions. 

The seagulls on the pilings are detailed, too. There's a separate piece for their bodies, wings, legs, and beak. You can place the body higher or lower on the legs, depending on the look you want (squatting or standing). I chose to reverse one gull, as if they might talk together at any moment. That made its feathers not as prominent, since I had to use the back of that die piece. 
Inside of the card

So the big design is definitely on the band, but it pairs nicely inside. 

The card was cut to 8 inches, with fold creases (love my Mini Scoring Board from EK Tools) at 1" and 2", then turning it around at crease again at 1" and 2".

Decorative paper panels were placed in the areas made by the creases (look at the top card).

A larger panel was placed inside, along with some of the elements from the band.

There are lots of die sets with boat scenes and seagulls, but this one has more detail to each part than others. Also--no coloring! You could cut everything in white and then color some pieces, but you don't have to do that.

Tomorrow I'll share the final card I made at the card class. It's a WOWZA.


Note: Reminder that I am an Amazon Associate. Any purchase made from Amazon via a link will--at no extra cost to you--provide me with a little store credit.

Comments