Background Stamp: Embossing Idea

 Some of the most beautiful background stamps are ones with a floral design. The only problem is that they are often outline images--and that would be a LOT of coloring to do.

Instead, you might try embossing the image.

Breathtaking Bouquet stamp by Stampin' Up!

I took this stamp set and embossed it 3 different ways.
Materials used
First I stamped it with the black ink--this one is a hybrid ink (dye/pigment ink hybrid), so the ink stays wet longer than regular dye ink. Then I put a black sparkle embossing powder on it and heat set it.
Close-up of black sparkle

I could not get a good photo to show just how sparkly the embossing powder actually is--it looks amazing on the card. I've circled an area that shows the sparkle--try clicking on the image to see if you can enlarge it to see it better.

*Note: You'll also notice that I did not follow one of the best pieces of advice when using embossing powder--before stamping, you should rub your paper with anti-static powder. Your card will stamp just fine and take embossing powder as needed, but the embossing powder won't cling to other parts of your paper--as it did to me. It was my own fault--I almost always forget to pull out the anti-static powder, and normally I get by OK, but this time the black powder stayed on the card where I didn't want it, and tapping the back didn't remove it. That's OK--I can always cover it up/trim it/etc. to hide my mistake!

For the other 2 cards, I used my big Embossing Ink pad--it's very juicy and can handle a big background stamp. I pressed the stamp into the embossing ink pad, then onto the paper. The embossing ink is clear, and stays wet longer. I then used a brushed gold embossing powder for one design.

Clear embossing ink/clear embossing powder

For the last card, I used the embossing ink, but then I used a clear embossing powder. You can see the design if you look carefully at this last picture.

Embossing with embossing powders makes a well-defined raised image, which I'll take advantage of in tomorrow's post.

I was quite sluggish today, but am ending the day feeling calm and peaceful. I hope you are feeling content today, too.
 







Comments